PROJECT LOCATION: TORONTO
This home is exquisite in its detail. Located in the museum district of Toronto, the home was designed for clients with a spectacular collection of art deco furniture, antiques and art. The 4,000 square foot condo with 11’ ceilings and amazing views was a blank slate from which to begin.
Inspirations & Design
Our goal was to create a home that seamlessly integrates an extensive collection of Art Deco art and antiques into a modern environment. We brought elements from the client’s affinity for the period and integrated it into today’s living so that it feels modern, luxurious and most importantly, functional. The jumping-off point for the decor, was a short length of exquisite antique-silver-and-blue silk that the client had made into pillows. We also integrated the client’s incredible art collection.
We used many exotic wall treatments to “wrap” the spaces to enhance the environment. Coverings include silk taffeta, goat skin, stone slab and leather.
In a condo you often have to work around mechanical elements that are necessary in the space. We vaulted major rooms with shapes volumes in order to conceal mechanical elements. In the living room we created an oval ceiling that comes up in a shallow vault to a maximum height of 11’,
We created patterns within the hardwood flooring to trick the eye and break up large open spaces. Within the living room, we created intimate groupings. The main seating area was designed as an oval, which is reflected in the ceiling. This separates it from both a lounge area as well as a bar area contained in the same space.
Everything was customized to optimize user interaction: seamless hidden drawers, relief cut finishes, custom lined cabinetry for their extensive silverware collection, etc. In living here, they truly find there are no underused spaces.
Sophisticated and thoughtful details include:
Foyer & Hallway
- Custom goat-skin wrapped wall tiles
- Barrel vaulted ceiling
- Stone slab pilasters
- Oval vaulted tray ceiling with integrated lighting
- Venetian plaster application
- Polished stainless steel fireplace surround
- Custom crafted art deco stainless room doors
- Padded silk taffeta panels
- Concealed doors for storage
- Handcrafted Eglomisé fireplace surround
- Top stitched leather walls
- Bespoke hand woven pure silk carpets throughout
- Macassar ebony baseboards
- Hidden doors
- Integrated arch doors with concealed hardware
- Glass to glass display corners with cantilevered 5/8” shelves (invisible support)
- Handcrafted marble vanity
We completed the furniture selection with custom pieces of our own design. Resources include Holly Hunt, Phillip Jeffries, Urban Electric, and William Switzer.